Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2
Mechtilde
2018-11-12 20:19:29 UTC
Hello
Hello,
after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
working on a better translation (process)
My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template
I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
No success.
localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf
I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found
Are there some requirements to install?
I did some further search for "setsolar" and found that it must be a
function of Visual Studio.

Does someone use Visual Studio for building and can provide an actual
*.sdf file.

Kind regards
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899 39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F
Andrea Pescetti
2018-11-12 22:22:16 UTC
My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template ...
I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
Please find more comprehensive information here:

https://s.apache.org/Dukc

This is a set of messages I sent to the dev list with everything I
managed to discover at the time. It might help you make some progress.
Does someone use Visual Studio for building and can provide an actual
*.sdf file.
I really don't think Visual Studio has relevance here. All my
presentation and mailing list messages were done on Linux (no Visual
Studio).

Regards,
Andrea.

Mechtilde
2018-11-13 18:02:49 UTC
Hello,

as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.

Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.

After preparing a build directory there I could start localize successful.

I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
many *.pot files in different directories.

Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
effectivly?

Then I can look for the next steps.

Please help!

Kind regards
Andrea Pescetti
2018-11-13 18:51:36 UTC
Post by Mechtilde
as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.
Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.
Thanks, Mechtilde! Could you please start from my notes at
https://s.apache.org/Dukc and copy them to a wiki page (or, if you don't
like wiki, to a text file to be then copied to a wiki page) so that you
can take advantage of what I already wrote and fix it?
Post by Mechtilde
After preparing a build directory there I could start localize successful.
OK, so for example my item 1 from the link above
---
1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.
---
should be improved to say that you don't actually need a full build (but
you still need to initialize the build process).
Post by Mechtilde
I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
many *.pot files in different directories.
I assume you will be looking at German with more attention, right? I
recommend to just start with one language, since having all SDF files is
useless anyway (Pootle has only a selection of languages).

Once we get a few languages working, generalizing won't be hard.
Post by Mechtilde
Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
effectivly?
I would suggest this: do the same steps as I did for French and
Portuguese in the discussion above. Let's check if we get to the same
conclusions, i.e., that Pootle is in a bad state that does not
correspond to any release.
Post by Mechtilde
Then I can look for the next steps.
Please note that, as I wrote, we need to go the opposite direction: from
Pootle to SDF. But we need to re-learn both flows, so it's really good
if you repeat all the process from my earlier notes.

So your next major steps would be:
- Exporting German from Pootle (not to Pootle) and build 4.1.6 (not
4.2.0) based on it
- Understanding the "malformed string" error messages when doing the
above and their impact on the resulting build; this is where I stopped
on 31 Dec last year, and I think nobody has done further work ever since.

Regards,
Andrea.

Andrea Pescetti
2018-11-14 20:43:30 UTC
As far as my memory serves me, no additions to Pootle were made after
3.3 or 3.4.
No, that should be much more recent. Pootle hasn't been used after 4.1.0
since all the 4.1.x releases did not contain string changes. But 4.0.0
and 4.1.0 were fully translated in Pootle (maybe 4.1.0 was updated only
on demand since we didn't have many string changes between 4.0.0 and 4.1.0).
Pootle came to a halt in probably the year or the year after it went to
Apache.
It didn't come to a halt per se; simply, new releases haven't brought
string changes and 4.2.0 will be the first release where we need to
import a significant number of string changes.
Having the old translations in Pootle would require an upgrading of the
templates in Pootle, used for the translations, with preservation of the
translated strings.
Due to code changes, 4.2.0 will need some special work: we moved some
strings, and Pootle won't be able to recognize they were moved. But its
built-in translation memory will probably hep and suggest the previous
translation if people are willing to review.
I mainly worked with translated PO-files ( checking with GSIcheck and
repairing errors and then putting the corrected PO-files back)
So, would you be able to export (I assume) Dutch from Pootle, pass it
through GSIcheck, check that it passes and document this step? I
remember having troubles at this step when I tried last year, but (even
if I've helped with translations since the pre-Apache era) GSIcheck was
never part of my routine.

Regards,
Andrea.